NDALAMA ILI MU PHONE: My Mo626 Nightmare From Chintheche to Mzuzu
Yesterday I boarded a Sienta from Chintheche to Mzuzu. If you know the M5 lakeshore road, you know the drill — loud music, people squeezed in like bags of cement, and a driver who thinks the lakeshore curves are a Formula 1 track.
When we reached the Nkhatabay turn-off, the driver asked for the fare. I replied with full confidence, "Ndalama ili mu phone."
He replied, "Ingotumizani ku Airtel Money."
Simple, I thought. I dialed _626# and did a Bank to Wallet transfer to his number. The bank sent me an SMS: Transaction Successful. My account was debited.
But on his side? Nothing. No SMS. No new balance.
"Boss, ndalama siinafike tu," he said.
I showed him my phone. He showed me his. Two phones, two truths — money debited from my account and no money credited to his. "Aaa ndi network imeneyo, ikazitolela message ifika," some kind passengers assured him.
We arrived at Mzuzu Depot and still, no money in his account. That's when chaos erupted.
The driver was now shouting at the top of his voice, "Tumizaniso ndalamayo ndati siinafike!" Before I knew it, anyamata ojiya were all over me, "Man, perekani ndalama!"
Then one of them stepped forward, with eyes red like he had been soaking in kachasu since morning, wearing a vest that has seen more sweat than soap.
He looked at me and shouted, "Iwe, upeleka supeleka?"
I knew well that sending the money again would mean my account would be debited twice, paying double for a single trip.
I was bold. I looked at his colleagues and told them, "Aaa inu musayankhileko, sizikukukhuzani."
Silence. Wrong move. By telling them it doesn't concern them, I disrespected their system.
The man in the worn-out vest stepped closer. The crowd tightened around me like a belt borrowed from your skinny friend. My bag felt heavier. My throat went dry. I could hear my own heartbeat competing with the depot noise.
The driver grabbed one of my arms. The other one grabbed the second. "Tumizaniso ndalamayo, ikabwela kawiri ndibweza inayo!"
But I stood my ground. "Ndikatumiza ndalama indidula kawiri ka, akaipanga reverse akubank ndikakutumizilani."
The driver laughed. Not a happy laugh. The kind of laugh that says you just made this worse for yourself. "Ine zakubank zanuzo zisandikhudze, ndikufuna ndalama yanga. Sindingakunyamuleni ulele," he said angrily.
This is the new Malawian problem.
We have moved fast into digital payments. Mo626, Airtel Money, Mpamba — we love saying "ndalama ili mu phone" because carrying cash around is risky. But the systems are letting us down.
A Bank to Wallet transaction is not instant. It goes from National Bank to a switching house, to Airtel. If Airtel network is down — as it often is — the money hangs in the air. Your bank debits you, but the wallet never credits.
I left my number with the driver and promised to send again once I verified with the bank.
As of this morning, I'm still waiting for the reversal.
What I Learned:
1. Never do Bank to Wallet when you are about to pay someone urgently._ First send from Bank to YOUR Airtel Money, confirm you have it, then send to the other person. It's one extra step but safer.
2. Always keep the Reference Number._ Mo626 gives you a Txn ID. Screenshot it immediately. That is your evidence at the depot.
3. Don't pay double out of panic.* In most cases, the money reverses automatically within 24-48 hours. If you pay again in cash, you will end up paying double when the first transaction finally lands.
To National Bank of Malawi and Airtel Malawi: Please fix this Bank to Wallet delay. You are making honest Malawians look like liars at bus depots.
To fellow Taxi travelers: If you want to say "Ndalama ili mu phone" — make sure it has already left the bank and entered the wallet BEFORE you board the Sienta.
Have you faced this too? Share your experience in the comments.

Comments